If you’re facing a high-range drink driving charge in NSW, it’s a good idea to have an experienced DUI lawyer to represent you.
The right lawyer can make a significant difference to your case, both in reducing the penalties and by reducing the stress of the experience.
But how do you choose the right DUI lawyer for your case? In this blog, we’ll discuss some essential factors to consider when selecting a lawyer for your high-range drink driving case in NSW.
Understanding High-Range Drink Driving Charges
Facing a high-range drink driving charge in NSW can be a serious legal matter. Drink driving is a criminal offence. It carries serious penalties.
In NSW, a high-range drink driving charge is issued for drivers with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.150 or higher. It is the highest category of drink driving and is viewed very seriously by the courts.
The penalties for a high-range drink driving conviction can be severe. They may include:
For a first offence:
- a criminal conviction.
- a fine of up to $3,300.
- a licence disqualification period of 6 to 9 months.
- followed by participation in the interlock program for a minimum period of 24 months that can be increased as the Court sees fit.
- a Gaol term of up to 18 months.
For a second or subsequent offence within 5 years:
- a criminal conviction.
- a fine of up to $5,500.
- a disqualification period of 9 to 12 months.
- followed by participation in the interlock program for a minimum period of 4 years that can be increased as the Court sees fit.
- a jail term of up to 2 years.
Should I Have Legal Representation?
It is important not to underestimate how seriously courts view high range drink driving. If you have been charged with this offence it is important to take the process seriously.
While you can represent yourself, many people choose to have a lawyer help with their case. There are a few different reasons that people seek legal representation:
- Knowledge of the law: the laws around drink driving are quite technical. Sometimes police make a mistake which could provide a defence. A good DUI lawyer will identify these errors and other legal defences, helping you decide whether you might have a defence.
- Making sure your case is prepared properly: a good lawyer will have experience in handling similar cases. They will identify which factors will help your case and the evidence needed to support it. An experienced lawyer understands how different magistrates like the case to be presented and makes sure you’ve done everything to present your best case. A well presented case can mean reduced penalties.
- Guidance and Support: Facing a high-range drink driving charge can be overwhelming and stressful. A good lawyer will provide you with support, guidance, and reassurance throughout the process. They can explain the legal proceedings, answer your questions, and provide you with peace of mind during this challenging time. They will also speak on your behalf at court, taking off the pressure.
Factors To Consider When Choosing A DUI Lawyer
Choosing the right lawyer can make all the difference to your experience.
Here are some factors to consider when selecting a DUI lawyer in NSW:
- Experience and Expertise: Look for a lawyer who specialises in drink driving cases and has significant experience in handling similar cases. A lawyer with expertise in this area of law will have a deep understanding of the legal nuances, defenses, and strategies specific to drink driving charges.
- Reputation and Track Record: Consider the reputation and track record of the lawyer you’re considering. Look for testimonials, reviews, and case results to get a sense of their success rate in handling drink driving cases. A lawyer with a proven track record of achieving favourable outcomes for their clients is likely to be a reliable choice.
- Communication and Accessibility: Effective communication with your lawyer is crucial throughout the legal process. Consider a DUI lawyer who communicates clearly, promptly, and is easily accessible. A lawyer who is responsive to your enquiries and keeps you informed about the progress of your case can provide you with peace of mind.
- Fees and Costs: Understand the fee structure and costs associated with the services of the DUI lawyer. Consider your budget and ensure that the lawyer’s fees are reasonable and transparent. It’s also important to ask about any additional costs, such as court fees, adjournments, and other expenses that may be incurred during your case.
- Personal Connection: Building a good rapport with your lawyer is important, as you’ll be working closely with them throughout your case. Consider a lawyer who listens to your concerns, understands your needs, and establishes a strong relationship based on trust and mutual respect. You should feel comfortable and ‘click’ with your lawyer.
- Local Knowledge: Drink driving laws and regulations can vary by jurisdiction, so it’s essential to choose a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and practices in NSW. A lawyer with local knowledge and experience can provide you with insights and strategies tailored to the specific requirements of your case.
If you’re in need of expert legal assistance for your high-range drink driving case, Ainsley Law is here to help. Our team of experienced DUI lawyers has a proven track record of success in handling DUI cases. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and let us provide you with the skilled legal representation you deserve.
Please call us today at (02) 8294 5697 or leave an enquiry.